Acute Jejunoileal Diverticulitis: Multicenter Descriptive Study of 33 Patients
Paul Lebert, Ingrid Millet, Olivier Ernst, Isabelle Boulay-Coletta, Lucie Corno, Patrice Taourel, Marc Zins American Journal of Roentgenology. 2018;210:1245-1251. 10.2214/AJR.17.18777
OBJECTIVE: Acute jejunoileal diverticulitis is a very rare and potentially serious disease affecting mostly elderly patients. The diagnosis is based on imaging but remains underrecognized. The purpose of this study is to describe the clinical and CT features and the outcomes of patients with acute jejunoileal diverticulitis.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Cases of acute jejunoileal diverticulitis managed at three French hospitals November 2005 through January 2015 were identified retrospectively. The final diagnosis relied either on a clinical and radiologic data review by a panel of experts or on surgical findings. Demographic, clinical, laboratory, and 18-month outcome data were collected. CT scans were reviewed by two radiologists who reached a consensus about the presence of an inflammatory diverticulum, evidence of complications, and presence of other bowel diverticula.
RESULTS: We identified 33 cases of acute jejunoileal diverticulitis in 33 patients with a median age of 78 years, including 30 (91%) patients in whom an inflammatory diverticulum was identified at the jejunum (n = 26, 87%) or ileum (n = 4, 13%). Extraintestinal gas was seen in 10 (30%) patients and extraintestinal fluid in 11 (33%) patients. Other small-bowel diverticula were visible in all 33 patients. The diverticulitis was mild and resolved with nonoperative treatment in 22 (67%) patients and was severe in the remaining 11 (33%) patients, eight of whom required emergent surgery.
CONCLUSION: Acute jejunoileal diverticulitis is a rare and usually nonserious condition that chiefly involves the jejunum. A detailed CT assessment may allow nonoperative treatment.